Hi everyone –
I am sure most of you are aware of the fire situation outside the Woodlands, but I wanted to send out an email anyway to bring everyone up to speed.
- There are three fires burning near the Woodlands: Cedar Creek, Varden, and Delancy. Cedar Creek and Varden are on our side of the highway. Here is a map from yesterday (we are the black X on the right edge). These fires have spread substantially since then.
- Cedar Creek and Varden fires appear to have merged, or are very close to doing so. See the latest infrared imaging here.
- Highway 20 is closed in both directions and will be for several days.
- The USFS is preparing to re-cut the fire break to the south of the Woodlands. It will follow approximately this footprint, starting out near Lee’s farm/quarry and continuing on upvalley through the Bible Camp, etc. This fire break was previously used in the 2006 Cedar Creek fire (pics from Lee attached).
- Mazama is currently under a Level 1 evacuation advisory…this is the lowest level and is summed up by “be ready”.
- For the latest information, check out a few sources of info:
- Our “Woodlanders” Facebook group
- The “Okanogan County and Methow Valley Topics of Interest and News” Facebook Group
- The Northwest Interagency Coordination Center
…And that’s really all the information I have. I highly encourage you to check out those three sources of info, as they are being continuously updated.
I also want to say that as these events unfold, I think the most important thing we can do is stick together and support each other and our community. Let’s help each other out however we are able.
A big thanks to Lee, Brian, and everyone else who has provided information I cited above.